Driving Tips for the Holiday Season
November 12th, 2015 — Martinson Agency LLC — Chaska, MN
Winter is the most challenging season for drivers, and the challenge is even greater around the holidays. If you’re setting out on a holiday road trip, you can likely look forward to more traffic and worse weather than usual. Throw in the fact that everyone seems to be in a rush to arrive at the celebration on time, and you will find yourself in some very unsafe driving conditions. To avoid these, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Make Sure the Car is Ready: Check to be sure that your tires are properly inflated, that your gas tank is full and that your windshield wipers are functioning properly. Also, make sure that you have a window scraper, a flashlight and a shovel in case of an emergency situation.
- Stay Charged: Make sure you bring your cell phone as well as your phone charger along for the trip. If you have your phone, you can call for help in the event of an emergency. As always, don’t use it while operating your vehicle. Keep the contact information for roadside assistance handy as well.
- Leave Early: Before you go, take time to check the weather and learn your route in advance. Leave early enough to give yourself plenty of time and always plan for traffic. On the road, keep your younger passengers occupied to reduce distractions and always expect the unexpected from other drivers.
- Don’t Hurry: You’ve left early, so you don’t need to worry about arriving on time. Now give yourself time to react to danger by slowing down. Stay within the speed limit, or even below it if the weather and road conditions are poor.
- Designate a Driver: DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE! Have a plan before the party starts and stick to it. Calling a cab is always a better option than driving if you have been drinking.
Plan ahead and keep your cool, and this year the road trip could turn out to be as memorable and enjoyable as the rest of the season. Happy Holidays!
Don’t leave your insurance to luck! Call today!
Phone: (952) 314-4400