Boat Maintenance Tips
April 8th, 2016 — Martinson Agency LLC — Chaska, MN
Summer is right around the corner, and you’re ready to get out on the water. But, is your boat ready? Even if it has been safely stored for the winter and protected from the elements, there are still numerous things you need to do before your boat is ready to hit your favorite lake.
Your boat hasn’t been used in months, so it’s not ready to cruise around the lake just yet. Here are a few things to check with in regards to your engine and electric:
- Check to be sure that your fuel hoses are in good working condition. Also make sure that the fittings and clamps are secure.
- Examine your electrical connections for corrosion and be sure that your battery is holding a charge.
- Check all fluid levels and change or top off as needed.
Damage to your propeller or hull can be a major buzz kill while out on the water. Here are a few things to look for:
- Dings or distorted propellers. This will lead to a very rough and choppy boat ride and can also damage your drive train.
- Hulls with blisters or cracks.
You can’t go boating if you can’t get your boat to the water. Here are some maintenance tips for your trailer:
- Test the lights on your trailer.
- Inspect the grease fittings on the hubs and apply more if needed.
- Look over the trailer bunks to make sure the padding isn’t worn out.
Let’s all remember that the Titanic was supposed to be unsinkable. No matter how safe you think your boat is, make sure you travel with all of the necessary safety equipment.
- Check to be sure that you have enough life jackets for all passengers.
- Confirm that your navigation lights are in working order.
- Have a fire extinguisher on board and make sure that it is functional.
Taking the time to examine your boat and make sure that it is ready for the water is important. So take a little time to make this boating season a safe one. Of course we don’t want to forget about insuring your boat or personal watercraft. Please give the Martinson Agency in Chaska, Minnesota a call today with all of your boat insurance needs!
Don’t leave your insurance to luck! Call today!
Phone: (952) 314-4400