Get Your Home Ready for Cold Weather
October 15th, 2015 — Martinson Agency LLC — Chaska, MN
Fall brings more than changing leaves, shorter days, and playoff baseball. Here in Minnesota, it also comes with a change in weather conditions. These weather conditions can have a major impact on your home. Before the cold weather takes over, make sure to do some routine home maintenance in order to get things in shape for the months ahead. Here are a few tips to help get you started:
Fall Maintenance Outside Your Home
- Check your roof: Remove moss from sloped areas and clear any debris from gutters and downspouts. Also, check for any damage and make repairs as soon as possible.
- Keep your yard free of debris: Clean up and properly dispose of fallen leaves and limbs on a regular basis to help reduce your risk of fire and other hazards.
- Look out for critters: Rodents and other animals might be looking for warm places to stay for the winter. These critters can be problematic if they find their way into your home for the winter.
- Check your pavement: If you have cracks in your driveway or other walkways, address them right away. Freezing weather will only make them worse and cause further issues come spring time.
Fall Maintenance Inside Your Home
- Check for leaks: Examine your water heater and your water main to make sure everything is working properly.
- Seal things up: If you feel any drafts around windows or doors make sure to take care of the issue right away. This will help keep your energy costs down which saves you money!
- Check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors: Make sure that these devices are functioning properly in order to prevent a catastrophe.
Home maintenance is key preventing many issues that may otherwise pop up over the winter months. If you have any questions regarding this topic or are interested in how many of these issues impact your home insurance feel free to give our office a call today!
Don’t leave your insurance to luck! Call today!
Phone: (952) 314-4400